With TV season finales airing all this month, expect some characters to come back next season as different people—figuratively speaking, of course. Or, literally speaking in regard to Boy Meets World having two different actors play Morgan Matthews and three different actors play Topanga Lawrence’s father. Here are the six biggest TV character transformations.
Leslie Knope on Parks and Recreation
Played by Amy Poehler
One of the most influential females on TV, the goofy Season 1 Leslie Knope wildly differs from the empowering (and waffle-loving) Knope we now know and love. In Season 1, she appears as the female equivalent to Michael Scott, giving goofy hand gestures and falling into a pit. Over the course of the rest of the series, her Pawnee pride emerges as she enters local politics (and makes friendship quilts!) Nowadays, Leslie Knope fits in a conversation with Michelle Obama and Ruth Bader Ginsberg. As she should.
Ben Chang on Community
Played by Ken Jeong
While my mind still can’t fully grasp that Donald Glover, Alison Brie, and Joel McHale were all on a TV show together, I am as baffled with Ben Chang’s transformation. He changes from an unstable Spanish teacher to a Greendale student that gets bitten by a monkey and is living in the air vents. Chang’s kookiness makes Seinfeld’s Kramer look normal. After all, there’s something genius about a coffee table book of coffee tables, but faking your own type of amnesia? That’s straight up Ben Chang.
- LLYU Solid Wood Folding Chair Home Leisure Back seat, Desk Computer Office Meeting Chair
- Wall Vanity Mirror - 16-28 Inch Round gold Metal Frame Hanging Mirrors for Entryways Washrooms Living Rooms and More Modern Simple Art Wall Decorative Mirror
- Beanbag Chairs Comfy Chair for Gaming Lazy Chair Sofa Suitable for Bedroom Balcony (color C, Size S)
- Package 2 LXLA- 304 Stainless Steel Kitchen Shelves Wall-Mounted Drain Dish Rack Seasoning Supplies Storage Rack Hanging Hook Multifunctional Shelf Organizer 55 50cm (color Package 1)
- Black 110 W x 84 L, 2 Panels Set NIM Textile Grommet Curtains Thermal Insulated Blackout Drapes, 140 W x 96 L, 2-Panels Set, Black, Sofiter Collection
- XHSSF-Kitchen Mixer Black Kitchen taps All Copper European hot and Cold Water can redate,A
- Weeping Angel Kneeling w Hand on Forehead Statue Sculpture Figurine
- Fbict golden Faucet hot and Cold European Copper Bathroom bluee and White Porcelain Counter Basin Mixing Valve gold-Plated Antique Faucet, B for Kitchen Bathroom Faucet Bid Tap
- Bathroom toiletries Storage Rack Wall Hanging Kitchen Rack Wall Rack Punch-Free Racks can Bear Weight (color Black, Size 50 12 14cm)
- Fold Chair,Household Portable Dining Chair Small Bench Dorm Room Student Chair Backrest Chair Portable Round Stool,Black
- Caramel Bronze Jaclo 4830-RH-ORB Wall Mounted Robe Hook, Oil Rubbed Bronze
- Oudan 304 Stainless Steel Cold Basin Kitchen Vegetables Whole Copper Sink Faucet Lead redatable Ceramic Valve Core, B (color C, Size -)
- Stainless Steel Low Bending Section With 80cm Tube JWLT Faucet Basin, hot and Cold Water Faucet, Copper Bowl, Basin Mixing and Mixing Valve, washbasin, Toilet, Faucet and Bathroom Cabinet,Copper high Bending Strip with 60CM
- Gxf air baths Bath Barrel Adult Folding Bracket Tub Plastic Household Body Inflatable Bathtub Thicker Insulation Bath Barrel bathtubs (Size Xl)
- CZOOR Widespread 3 Hole Waterfall Spout Bathroom Tub Faucet Wash Basin Sink Mixer Taps Deck Mounted
- 30cm AXWT European Style Antique Basin Faucet Retro Above Counter Basin Cold Heat Taps Bathroom Waterfall Water-tap Copper Tap 30 Cm, 20 Cm (Size 20cm)
- Folding Bathtub GX bathtub Flamingo Pattern Tub ?Household Full Body Adult Bath Barrel,with Bath Stool, Storage Bag, Bath Mat (color A, Size 65 70CM)
- Vado ION-106-C P Chrome Ion Basin Pillar Taps Single Lever Deck Mount
- Kitchen Bath Basin Sink Bathroom Taps Kitchen Sink Taps Bathroom Taps Waterfall Faucet Ctzl0055
Ryan Howard on The Office
Played by B.J. Novak
Ryan was merely known as the “Fire Guy” and Michael Scott’s crush at Dunder Mifflin in the first season of The Office. Over the course of the series he gets promoted to Vice President of the company, gets sent to prison, becomes a drug addict, and inexplicably bleaches his hair. He went from a second-rate Jim Halpert to an employee that only Kelly Kapoor (and Michael Scott) could love.
Jan Levinson on The Office
Played by Melora Hardin
Just as Ryan became an irrational, comedic character at Dunder Mifflin, Vice President of the company and Michael’s ex-girlfriend Jan Levinson did as well (but even more). Famous Jan moments include her scented candle business, her fascination with her assistant Hunter, and recording a Doris Day cover album. And to think this character transformation began all with a beach trip to Sandals Resorts Jamaica.
Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World
Played by Danielle Fishel
Though most characters change from “normal” to “weird” on TV shows, Topanga Lawrence on Boy Meets World has the opposite transformation. After all, you know if she was intended to be Cory Matthews’ long-term love interest, her name would be Erica or Ashley, not Topanga. She goes from a hippie that performs an interpretive dance titled “Donut in the Sky” to a bookworm perfectionist. Personally, I think Cory, famously known for having a poster of celery, would be fine with either Topanga.
Eric Matthews on Boy Meets World
Played by Will Friedle
Since Boy Meet World’s strange character became normal, another person on the show needs to take that role. Enter Eric Matthews: the cool older brother from Season 1. Over the series, he catches the curtains on fire, hides in the couch, and calls himself “Kyle.” Most bizarrely, Eric appears as a bearded hermit named “Plays with Squirrels” at an imaginary high school reunion. Who would imagine a popular baseball player would transform into this comedic character? But, I’m here for it. The only lasting trait throughout is the everlasting “Fee-hee-hee-hee-nay” call.
Any characters missing from the list? And no, Pam Beesly making better style choices in later seasons of The Office doesn’t count.